School of Art Fitout
The re-development, restoration, and seismic strengthening at the Arts Centre of Christchurch, te Matatiki Toi Ora, comes after the heritage landmark was badly damaged by earthquakes in 2010 and 2011. The project is the largest heritage restoration in New Zealand. There are 23 buildings on site, of which 21 are listed by Heritage New Zealand as Historic Place Category 1.
Girls' High opened in 1878, but with growing numbers moved to a new location in 1882. The building then became Canterbury College's School of Art.
T W Cane was the architect, with Samuel Hurst Seager involved in early alterations and additions to the building.
The School of Art building had been seismically strengthened by Holmes Consulting Group in 2008, therefore there was little damage in the Canterbury earthquakes. However, the neighbouring West Lecture building, which had not been strengthened, compromised its safety.
- Cost management
- Contract procurement
- Contract administration
- Insurance services